Monday, September 12, 2005

Where are you going and why are you so tired?















I walked passed this man on Sunday and he was snoring loud enough to wake himself up. We were walking back to our car after spending the day at Harbourfront (Toronto). It was a good day. The sun was shining, the birds were singing, there were people everywhere. This man has no idea that his image is on my blog. He most likely doesn't have a computer or has access to one. I bet he would be pretty mad if he knew I had posted him up here for all of us to see.

I wanted to take more pictures of him but I was nervous. Sometimes people will wake up if there are others around them - preying on them in some way. I think it is a defence mechanism. I have boldly shot photos of people sleeping on the streets and had them wake up and chase me violently. You think - sure like they're going to wake up and the wham they do. It scares the shit out of me. I saw this girl snapping photos of a man passed out on Bay and Yonge Street on Saturday. She was right up in his face and he was dead-to-the-world. I felt bad for the guy, and nervous for her. She looked like she was some sort of photo-vulture and it upset me a little - but then here I am the next day taking the above photo. I am such a hypocrite.

It would of been interesting to talk to the guy on the bench sleeping but there is no way to know anything about him. He is just a guy on a bench sleeping. For us he only exists here.

No comments: