Tuesday, September 27, 2005

What Colour Underwear Did You Pick Today?

So today I decided a few things and then I did a few things. I got up in the morning and decided to shave and take a shit - then I decided to wipe my ass and take a shower. When I was in the shower I decided what type of shampoo to use (there were four to choose from) and I also decided what type of body soap to use - I opted for the green French carbolic because my hot-parts were feeling a little oily.

When I got out of the shower I decided which towel to use and then decided what underwear to put on. Tight or loose? What's my mood say? After that it was to decide what to wear and then what to bring for lunch.

The only reason I stopped making decisions about things was because I was running out of time and had to get moving. It seems that this year it is going to take me a solid hour to get to work in the morning - without escape. For some reason it is taking longer to get here than it does to get home. I am starting to get scared because there isn't even any snow on the ground yet.

When I got into my car it was time to decide what I would listen to - the radio or a CD and then after deciding on the CD player it was what CD to listen to - I choose Jack Johnston first and then went into the latest Moby CD - first disc. After that I chose lanes to drive in, how fast to go, who to let in and cut off, and so on.

All of this happened with little or no conscious focus - it was all pretty subconscious - almost instinctual. We all do this every day I guess but what would happen if we couldn't decide - or if these types of decisions were harder to make and took longer. Imagine if we were all still wandering around in our homes nude trying to figure out which pair of underwear to put on. What if deciding on what to bring for lunch put you into crisis and there was no way around it - would you go to work without a lunch? How is it that we are all able the weigh out the magnitude of our own inane decisions - how is it that we can take things for granted just "because".

How many things make up the inter-woven process of each conclusive decision we make each day?

No comments: